Thursday, May 8, 2014

an ode to grads

I don't think that I have ever made a graduation card. That is, until today, when I whipped one up in the colors of our school district, green and gold! My oldest daughter is a junior, but she has many senior friends, so I have been thinking about graduates lately. 

It's such an exciting time! But it's also full of stress. I remember when I was a senior, with the weight of the world on my shoulders, the expectations of my parents, my peers, myself. It felt like every decision was life or death. Should I attempt the SAT again? How many colleges should I apply to? What should I choose as my major? A local campus, or one far away from home? How many classes should I take? 

The reality was, I really didn't know what I wanted out of life when I was 18 years old. I had a hard enough time deciding what to wear every day! Looking back, I have come to realize that all those little decisions didn't need to feel so huge. My life has taking turns that I never could have expected. I've walked down roads that I never could have anticipated. I stumbled into what I believe I was born to do. I work with preschoolers. I wish that when I was 18, I knew what I know now. I could've enjoyed being a senior bit more. 


So as June approaches, my heart goes out to all those seniors who are biting their nails, waiting for that college acceptance letter. I wish I could tell them to take a deep breath, and enjoy the ride. I'm glad that I finally did.


Happy stamping!

No comments: