Sunday, November 24, 2013

a new discovery

I just love Stampin' Up's stamp set, Snow Much Fun! I adore snowmen in all their forms. The ones the kids and my husband build in the backyard, the resin ones I place in my windows every Christmas season, those melting ones I see atop cookies on Pinterest. They all capture my imagination. I think that it stems from the classic Christmas movie and song, Frosty the Snowman. And from a recurring dream that my childhood snowmen DID come to life and frolicked on my childhood front lawn. I really did think that they had snow ball fights and decorated the pines across the street while my family slept, unaware.

In any case, snowmen make me smile. And so does this card. Particularly because I discovered a "new" technique. I've been using Classic ink and Aqua Painters for years. Beautiful watercolored flowers, sweet watercolored woodland animals, stunning watercolored landscapes. But lately I've been drawn to white snowmen on craft colored paper and pondered how in the world one would go about making them. Clearly the snowmen I was seeing were watercolored. But the white color had me stumped. I'm not sure why I was being so dense, because the answer was so simple. Craft ink! White craft ink and my Aqua Painter was the simple solution. Using craft ink works exactly like using classic ink. It just takes a bit more cleaning up.

 I will be making a ton of these cards this season. I love the homespun look of the sponged Crumb Cake paper with the white snowman popping out from it! Paper piercing lends a touch of texture, as does the Chocolate Chip ribbon. Sponging Chocolate Chip ink onto the edges of the patterned paper ages things a bit. I think that this is my favorite Christmas card I have ever made. Yup. It really is.

Happy stamping!

4 comments:

Von said...

I love the white snowman on craft paper- not something you see all the time. The aging and piercing are just the perfect touches. I just love looking at this!

Von said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Von said...

I love the white snowman on craft paper- not something you see all the time. The aging and piercing are just the perfect touches. I just love looking at this!

Jodi said...

Thanks so much, Von! I am loving this new-to-me technique!