Sunday, September 8, 2013

Getting creative with school supplies

When the kids were in elementary school, I loved school supply shopping! We were mailed a list of supplies from the children's teachers and we went on our merry way and bought everything on the list. Fast forward to middle school. No lists were mailed, but there was a list on the school's website. So when our first child hit middle school, we accessed the list, and bought everything on it. Only to find, after she came home from the first day of school, that the list was totally bogus. She didn't have everything that she needed, and worse, she had some things that she didn't need. And high school was worse. No lists at all!

So now, we send our girls to the first day of school armed with a folder, some loose leaf, a pen and a pencil. They come home with a list from each individual teacher, and we hit Staples after school. Along with every other student and their parents! It's kind of like Black Friday shopping. Carts bumping into each other and fights breaking out over the last scientific calculator! It's not like Black Friday in that nothing ever seems to be on sale on the first day of school.

Which leads me to my project for today. Binder dividers. My eighth grader needed... 14!!! I didn't buy 14 binder dividers. I made them! I rounded the corners of an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of card stock and punched them with our three hole punch. Then I punched two 1 3/4" circles and sandwiched the sheet of card stock between them. A bit of stamping to decorate them, and voila! Fourteen binder dividers that didn't cost me a penny!

When my junior in high school saw them, she ordered ten of them for herself! I love how they came out.

Happy stamping!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

love these... making some myself :)

Jodi said...

Awesome Jamie! I think that they are super cute. Makes school, or work in your case, a little bit happier!